My love for desserts knows no bounds, but so is my love for kitchen hacks and cheats. In this recipe, I will show you how to make caramel for pudding in a microwave to enjoy this delicate Japanese treat (no scorched pans!)
This is a no-bake recipe that uses steam to cook the pudding in a pan. This might result in some bubbles along the side. For a truly smooth custard, you can bake it slowly in a water bath in the oven.
3/4tbs White Sugar
100ml Milk (or a mixture of 50ml milk + 50ml evaporated milk)
1/4tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Add sugar and water into heat proof cups (i’m using Nespresso coffee cups). Microwave at 30sec intervals until amber in colour.
2. In a bowl, beat one egg. Set aside.
3. Mix 50ml of milk and 50ml of evaporated milk and heat in a microwave for 30 sec. Add sugar and vanilla.
4. Pour warmed milk mixture into the egg while stirring constantly. Strain through a sieve. Divide equally into caramel filled cups and cover with aluminium foil completely.
5. Place tea towel onto the base of the pan (visuals in the video) and put your cups carefully on it. Pour water until it is halfway up the sides of your cup. Cover pan with a lid and let simmer for 15min.
6. Remove carefully and chill completely.
7. To serve, use a spatula to release the pudding along the sides. Place your dessert plate on top and flip! There you go.
a) How long you microwave your caramel depends on the wattage of your microwave. Heat at 30sec intervals and check by eye until it is an amber colour. b) Placing a tea towel at the base of the pan ensures that your pudding is not in direct contact with the heat source. This way, it will cook gently and not be overcooked at the bottom.
This is also a great recipe to make ahead for dinner parties or gatherings. Its simple, satisfying and not too sweet. Best part is, you know exactly what you put in your pudding.
Have a great week ahead!